This update includes new features, an enhanced user interface, and minor bug fixes.
- When adding a station users will see that the look and feel of the favorites list has changed for the better. The buttons and text are bigger and if a user swipes one of the favorites to the left they will be given the option to remove the favorite from their list. Previously a station had to be added to the active weather screen in order to remove it from the favorites.
- Another change to the add station functionality is that users can now search for a station if they don’t know the ICAO or IATA. This feature takes advantage of the local database in the application to look for any stations whose ICAO, IATA, or Name contain the string in the search box.
- Lastly, the tutorial has been fixed so that on smaller screens the user can scroll vertically to see all of the contents on a page.
Hopefully you will find these changes add to the value of the application. As time permits I’ll be adding more features and updating the user interface to make the application a more enjoyable experience.
Version 2.2 of Weather Pilot has been released fixing the METAR and TAF download issue.
Update 26 Feb: Still no word from BlackBerry support on whether they have recieved my ticket. Sorry for this downtime.
I want to apoligize for users of the BlackBerry 10 version of Weather Pilot. I have a release to fix the issues with the METAR and TAF data not loading but am unable to submit the build through App World due to technical difficulties. I have contacted support and am waiting on their response.
Updated the Android version of Weather Pilot to use HTTPS for data retrieval. In the near future this will be required for the app to work as HTTP connections will not be permitted. Please update at the next opportunity.
Weather Pilot version 2.5 has been release for Android 4.4 and newer. The release adds several new features.
- Option for users to make a one-time purchase to remove all advertisements.
- Tutorial that launches the first time the application is run.
- Change Log so users can view the history of changes.
- Menu option to email the developer with all recorded problems from the current session.
I will be working on updating the application for pre-4.4 Android versions shortly.
Update: Pre-4.4 application released in the Play Store.
Release 2.4.6 was pushed out a week ago that fixed an issue with Android releases 4.2.2 – 4.4.1 where the app would launch but adding stations didn’t function.
Version 2.3.0 of Weather Pilot for Android has been released. This update adds viewing of the previous six hours of METAR data for a station to the main view. Click on METAR History under the station weather box to see the history. To get back to the main view that shows both the latest METAR and TAF click on Current. An additional menu was also added that will serve as the application menu for things like Settings in the future. For now it provides a link to the About page for the application that lets users know the current version of the application they are running and how to contact me with support questions.
Android users of Weather Pilot experienced an issue last week where METAR and TAF data was not showing in the app. The issue has since been resolved with a new version of the app getting released. Version 2.0.1 of the app is currently active in the Play Store and should fix the issue. Since this version of the app was a complete rewrite not all features are the same in this latest release. Currently a link to the map view of the weather station is not available but will be made available in an upcoming release. One new feature is the ability to save favorite stations for quick retrieval in the Add Station window.
I am sorry for any inconvenience the recent outage may have caused. With this latest release I have plans to add new features to make the app even more functional to pilots, meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts alike.
I am aware of the issue with Weather Pilot not retrieving METAR and TAF data. Will be working on a fix for the problem this weekend. Sorry for any problems this may be causing you.
If you haven’t received a notification from BlackBerry World take a look now because Weather Pilot 10 for BlackBerry has been updated to version 126.96.36.199.
Change log for version 188.8.131.52
– Added ability to launch Location Settings page when finding stations nearby but Location service is disabled
– Fixed bug where location wouldn’t be retrieved after service was enabled
– Updated advertising service
– Simplified the tutorial by removing the Close button and leaving only the Dismiss button