Weather Pilot 3.0 has been released. This was a complete rewrite of the application to bring it up to latest standards in security and technology. Updates will continue to roll out for the application as feature parity is matched with the previous version and new functionality is added.
Users may experience issues where ads start to appear on their app even though they have paid for an ad-free subscription. I apologize for this. I am working on an update to resolve the issue but due to other commitments I am unsure when this update will go out. If you start seeing ads but have paid to have them removed please contact support through the app.
I’m looking into the problem where METAR and TAF data isn’t downloading.
UPDATE: 23 Sept 2021
Data issues are resolved.
This update includes fixes and analytics changes.
- Fixes to the Location Permission request so it is presented to the user before bringing up the setting to enable it.
- Added tracking of feature usage within the application. This is so I can ensure time isn’t spent developing a feature if no one is using it. If you don’t want to participate in the tracking you can disable it by going to the application menu in the upper right corner and unchecking the Analytics Enabled menu item.
I’m happy to say that the latest version of Weather Pilot for Android has been released with several new features.
- Find stations near your current location
In addition to quickly adding your favorites or searching for stations by name you can now get a map view of your current location and all the stations within a few hundred miles of you.
- Swiping left on the METAR and TAF section of a station will now let you remove that station from the current view. No need to go to the station menu to remove it.
- Station elevation on the Station Information screen is now in meters and feet.
- Also from the Station Information screen you can click on the Map button to bring up station on the devices Map application.
I hope you find these features helpful and continue to spread the word about Weather Pilot!
This update includes new features, an enhanced user interface, and minor bug fixes.
- When adding a station users will see that the look and feel of the favorites list has changed for the better. The buttons and text are bigger and if a user swipes one of the favorites to the left they will be given the option to remove the favorite from their list. Previously a station had to be added to the active weather screen in order to remove it from the favorites.
- Another change to the add station functionality is that users can now search for a station if they don’t know the ICAO or IATA. This feature takes advantage of the local database in the application to look for any stations whose ICAO, IATA, or Name contain the string in the search box.
- Lastly, the tutorial has been fixed so that on smaller screens the user can scroll vertically to see all of the contents on a page.
Hopefully you will find these changes add to the value of the application. As time permits I’ll be adding more features and updating the user interface to make the application a more enjoyable experience.
Version 2.2 of Weather Pilot has been released fixing the METAR and TAF download issue.
Update 26 Feb: Still no word from BlackBerry support on whether they have recieved my ticket. Sorry for this downtime.
I want to apoligize for users of the BlackBerry 10 version of Weather Pilot. I have a release to fix the issues with the METAR and TAF data not loading but am unable to submit the build through App World due to technical difficulties. I have contacted support and am waiting on their response.
Updated the Android version of Weather Pilot to use HTTPS for data retrieval. In the near future this will be required for the app to work as HTTP connections will not be permitted. Please update at the next opportunity.
Weather Pilot version 2.5 has been release for Android 4.4 and newer. The release adds several new features.
- Option for users to make a one-time purchase to remove all advertisements.
- Tutorial that launches the first time the application is run.
- Change Log so users can view the history of changes.
- Menu option to email the developer with all recorded problems from the current session.
I will be working on updating the application for pre-4.4 Android versions shortly.
Update: Pre-4.4 application released in the Play Store.